Take a look around...

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

crossing the threshold & hard truths

Hello my fearless blog-o-spherers...

I've got something weighing heavy on my mind and I've got to let this out.

There is this thing I'm discovering...i'm calling it "the threshold". At some point living a healthy lifestyle for a person is no longer "news". It no longer needs to be endlessly blogged about, or shared or status-updated on every social media known to man, because simply, it is how you live now. And when that happens, you have crossed what I have decided to call "the threshold".

Am I at that "threshold"? Not quite. (ha! i just made myself laugh!) But to be honest...I find that now, the only time I go on a posting spree is because I NEED the reminder that this is the stuff that makes me feel awesome. This is the stuff that puts a smile on my face. AND I know that my battles, failures and successes are inspiring others too...and who am I to be stingy with inspiration?

But at this point, do you guys really need another picture of me in the gym locker room smiling at my iphone camera? I'm guessing probably not. Do I have any issue at all with others that do it? NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT. Because every journey is different...and sometimes it is the only thing that motivates you to go to the damned gym because you know you have a few people waiting on you to post that pic.Or that inspirational quote. Or that stupid selfie pic that proves you got out there and did the thing you said you would - whether it is a run, a gym session, a picture of your healthy dinner...in the end it boils down to this crazy thing called "accountability".

And while all this was swirling around in my head today, I realized that I'm getting to a point where I don't feel the burning desire to report every single success because, I should, want and CAN be succeeding - all my excuses are gone. There is no reason not to live a healthy, active life. Will I live it perfectly all the time? Hell no. Again, balance is a critically important thing to me, and so is being realistic. Perfection does not exist. And if you are watching someone that appears to be "perfect" it is because you are seeing only their highlight reel.

For me, all I know is, once making healthy choices and being active becomes your norm (and being a slug and eating crap is not -- talking about myself over Christmas here!) you realize the only thing that stops you are the obstacles you put in front of yourself. Everyday that I manage to find a successful balance is a check mark in the success column to me. Some days I successfully decline dessert, some days I don't. There are no rules anymore...I just have gotten to a place where I know what matters most to me...and I know when I am physically at my best, feeling healthy and strong...then I am quite simply...at my best as an entire human being. I'm happier. I'm less stressed. I'm confident and some have even told me glowing...oh and did I mention confident? Does that mean everything and every day is "perfect"? Nope. If we keep trying to hold ourselves to standards of impossible perfection than how can we possibly be motivated to keep going? That is an unattainable goal and if we keep running for a finish line that doesn't exist...well no wonder we burn out so quick.

I don't mean to be spewing things here at you all...but I'm frustrated. Most people that do not engage in a lifestyle like this think it is easy for those of us that do. I assure you. It is not. They think it is easy to go out and run 4 miles. Hell run 2 miles. It is NOT. Many times I have to really push to move my ass out the door because I know when I get back...I feel stronger or even if the run sucked, I feel more peaceful because I know I'm taking the best possible care of my body and that is good for both my mind and spirit. A friend of mine (no not ME!) gets furious when people say to her "you are so lucky you are thin". And it makes her furious. She works HARD for that incredible body she's got, she sacrifices so much to fuel her body the best way she knows because it is worth it. That is HER approach. My approach is a little different. But we are both equal in love and war because in the end we are both living a lifestyle that feels healthy, empowering and needed. And lately for me...almost craved.

I don't expect it to be that way for everybody. We are all unique (thank goodness!). But I want people to OWN their health. As a personal trainer and health coach...I want to empower people. I want them to feel and realize they are the ones that control their "cans" and "can nots". If you want to run a 5K...run it. You CAN. But you will have to work for it. It will not be easy. You will be uncomfortable. But you WILL succeed.

That's just one example.

I'm realizing this post sounds sort of angry or aggressive and that's not my intent. I appreciate and learn from every struggle I have AND from other's struggles and successes as well. It is what makes it all so intricate and interesting. It is the common ground that connects us. But to sit back, and decide to give up will never be something I can get behind. We are all worth SO much more than we give ourselves credit for. 

We ARE strong enough. 
We ARE smart enough. 
We ARE brave enough.

We are a force of nature and to end up anything less than that, to not strive for more seems...unnatural.

And I guess that's how I know, I've crossed the "threshold".

stay strong everybody,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment