Take a look around...

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Good, The Bad...Vegetarian Adventures Continue!

So a few days ago, I posted some of my early experiences and observations after turning vegetarian only a week or so into it. And, all of the observations early on were an accurate reflection of my experience...but now, here comes more REAL change. 

Some good, some bad...some just are what they are.

THE GOOD!

  • I like cooking now. It may sound ironic, and goes against what most newly converted vegetarians say, but I actually find myself more excited to cook up different recipes when I take meat out of the equation. No idea why...except, as I stated in my past post, maybe it is simply because I KNOW I never cooked meat well. It takes the pressure off and THAT is making it highly enjoyable for me.
  • Energy burst. Today, half way through my work day I felt like I was speeding around on a rocket. I had this incredible rush of energy and adrenaline. Never experienced anything quite like it. Truth is I did have some pretty awesome news today and that always supercharges me, but this was more than that. My body felt and in this moment while typing this - it feels like I've got some electricity flowing through my veins. All I can chalk this up to is the combination of the good news AND the change in diet starting to take affect.
  • Focus. I'm not sure how this works either (i'm reading, reading, reading) but I feel like i've got an incredible amount of focus for the things I want to accomplish and there is clarity on how to attain them. If you know me at all, I always know what I want to do, but fail to have the focus and follow through (speaking in terms of pursuing my fitness/health passion outside of my "day job"). 7 days into 2014 and I have an article published to an audience of 4000 people (local mag!) AND amping up to provide more submissions as a regular contributor. Kinda crazy is all I'm saying.

THE BAD!

  • Belly Bloat. This is only a "bad" because it was unexpected and a bummer. When I shared with numerous people I was going vegetarian, of the ones that had tried it or made the transition, NO ONE mentioned bloating and gas issues. (sorry, may be TMI but it is a big part of what i'm experiencing right now - got to speak freely!). The first few days I did not have this issue, but now nearly two weeks in, it is hitting me HARD. My digestive system is confused. I have been reading up as much as I can on this transition and why/how bloating and gas come into play. Basically it can be attributed to the mad rush of vegetables and an over abundance of fiber. It also can be attributed to part of the detox process. Either way, my stomach has never looked so big and it is making me nervous. Luckily, from what I'm reading, it is only temporary...but yeah, it is hard to feel like i'm doing something better for my body, when right now it is looking worse. That's the truth right there!
  • Restaurant dining. Again nothing horrible, but yep, the reality that we live in a meat minded society is nowhere more apparent than when going out to dine at a chain family friendly establishment. Me and the man took his daughters out to dinner on Sunday at the 99, and there was just about nothing on the menu to choose from. Luckily, I am still lovin' up on fish and had some salmon with veggies. But if you don't like fish, or are also nixing it from your diet - you are stuck with salad...and even THAT you would have to request no chicken!
JUST ARE WHAT THEY ARE!
  • Eating enough. Ohhh I hate to admit this, I really do...and this is NOT attributed to being a vegetarian actually, but it IS attributed to my constant struggle to eat enough. Although I feel like I'm doing a little bit better since turning to the vegetarian lifestyle, apparently I'm still slipping up. Yesterday I headed to the gym thinking  that a small kale/spinach salad, a banana and a protein bar that I ate at 1pm would be enough to sustain a weight training session at 6pm....FAIL! Big, ugly FAIL. I had to leave the gym 20 minutes in because I felt weak, lightheaded and awful. It was due to the lack of food, I had nothing to fuel me. The reason I'm listing it under "vegetarian" trials and tribulations is because if I was still eating meat...I would be just shoving brown rice and chicken in my mouth to compensate for the lack of food in my day. Being vegetarian forces me to take it a step further and be MORE responsible for eating. There is no quick fix, it just is what it is!
This really is all an adventure and once I get past the terrible bloat issue...I suspect this may be something that sticks with me. So far the good outweighs the bad and as long as it stays that way, I see no reason to turn this veggie-lovin' bus around.

stay strong!
Rachel




    3 comments:

    1. So happy to hear there is more good and bad with the vegetarian life! I never heard about the bloating...yikes! I feel that eating in restaurants period, especially chains, is thoughtless towards people who want to eat well. I'd recommend previewing a menu at a restaurant beforehand to avoid disappointment!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, I had never heard about the bloating either. It really is a TMI sort of subject so I think people tend to shy away from sharing that aspect...but it IS important to know. I won't let it discourage me, right now I'm feel many more positive aspects than negative. I plan to keep y'all posted on my experiences :)

        Delete
    2. Goodluck on your journey to becoming a vegetarian. I, too became vegetarian last year and it was a struggle at first. My husband grew up int Texas and he loves meat! A lot of restaurants offer vegeterian selections. If they don't have, I try asking to remove the meat part on my pasta or replace it with something else. They sometimes agree to it which is great! :) Doesn't hurt to try asking.

      ReplyDelete