Take a look around...

Monday, January 13, 2014

ducks in a row...QUACK!

Couldn't help but notice it has been nearly a week since my last blog update...which has me feelin' all "oh crap I better post"...so here I am!

Usually when there is inactivity from me it is either a really GOOD sign or a really BAD sign. In this case, happy to report...GOOD! I guess you could say I've been busy getting my ducks in a row. So...on with the QUACK!

Been supa-dupa busy studying my tail off for my NASM personal certification test. Lots of amazing app resources out there that I had no knowledge of until mid last week. I've been using both the NASM Exam Prep app and the MedPreps NASM Prep app. I did pay for each but the cost was nominal for the fully functional versions. I am astonished to find out that I actually know far more than I thought I did...which makes me uber happy. I also finally registered for my CPR/AED training through the American Red Cross on February 3rd. First half of the course work is online and then a 3 hour hands on training and test. Like I said, this year is the year to make everything I want, happen. It is up to me to do the work and the prep to make it my reality - so that's what I'm doin' yo! (not sure why, but I'm quite gangster today!). I also spent Thursday night of last week with my "test" client and it was just so inspirational and MOTIVATIONAL for me. It is clear that I have a natural way of guiding people, whether that is instinctual or part of the family gift, it does not matter. All that matters is that my good friend and very patient test client is helping me just as much as I hope to be helping her along in this journey.

I've also been busy getting my closet, drawers and kitchen aligned with the direction of this new year. I spent hours yesterday re-organizing ALL my workout and running clothes. I know that sounds like nothing significant but for me, someone that is not usually super neat with her clothes...it is a real turn around. Bought an organizer for the closet and now the plethora of work out clothes have a nice and neat place to live. The strange thing is, I had this thought when I looked at them all stacked and color coordinated...I thought "why do I have a complete second wardrobe of this stuff?" - and somewhere in my head the little voice of hope and ass-kickin' said "because someday these will be your professional work clothes". And the biggest smile crept onto my face with that thought. And I believe it. To make it happen, you've got to believe and then WORK for it.

I'm also tackling re-organizing the kitchen. We have some excellent new kitchen tools that lend themselves to a healthier eating style...small food processor, fancy juicer, magnetic board for all my loose tea canisters, etc. The man has been pretty awesome about helping to facilitate the kitchen changes...now I need to dive in and do my re-organization stuff.

And somewhat related, I guess I should give an update on the vegetarian life. Nearly 3 weeks in and so far, smooth sailing. Some of the challenges I mentioned in my last post still exist but it is process and a learning experience. I truly believe that the clarity I'm experiencing is related to being vegetarian. Not quite sure HOW that works...but there is no other explanation for how I have been the past couple weeks. I am usually focused in short spurts of time and then lose ground. So far I've followed through on everything which, as much as I hate to admit it, is highly unusual! I plan on doing a bit more reading to see if this is one of the "reported" benefits of switching to a veggie diet.

As for my running...I let it slip the past two weeks and my body shows it. Although I got myself to the gym twice last week, the running had really suffered at the hands of the "polar vortex" and half a foot of snow that consumed my biggest little state in the union. Yesterday, I got my ass out the door and did a solid 4 miles. I miss the way my stomach and legs look and I know the slide back in those particular areas are because the running has not been consistent. For me, that must be priority number one. My plan is to run NO LESS than 3 times a week, with 1 run being slightly longer than the rest. When early March arrives, it will be time to kick into half marathon training mode...something I'm looking forward to now that I KNOW how it feels to go that distance and understand how to get there without pushing myself into injury. So 3 runs a week, plus 2 gym sessions a week (minimum) and I should start to see this body get back in the shape I most prefer it.

Truth is, I'm learning as I go. And just because my body isn't at its best right now (physically) doesn't discredit my love for health and fitness...in fact it just reinforces I'm human and even in the face of loving all things gym/running related - you can still slip up. And that IS okay!

That said - stay strong everyone - because summer bodies are made in the winter!
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment