Take a look around...

Saturday, December 1, 2012

comfort zone, schmfort zone

Happy to share that another run yesterday was in order, another celebration of a slow return to normal. And it was successful once again!

I'm not sure where its coming from...the drive, the strength, the focus...to keep pushing my run further, but yesterday resulted in some pretty impressive results (for me)...


To date, this is the furthest I have ever run - a glorious 3.51 miles. And the pace simply blows my mind of 10:20. That said, I really, REALLY need to learn how to let myself run at a "conversational" rate. For some reason I get out there and I have a hard time letting myself slow down. And this rate is with me making a conscious effort to slow down dramatically atleast once or twice in my run. Either way, I'm not complaining...just trying to make sure I'm varying my runs and improving my endurance. I am focused on running a 10k in 2013 and then would love to tackle a half marathon. If I'm to do that I NEED to focus on endurance and letting myself slow down. I can say that looking at this latest round of numbers, I think I could easily beat my prior 5k time of 39 minutes (roughly) from October 20th. So, that will be my more immediate goal to tackle in the midst of training for a 10k. Now if I could only find the right 5K in RI to run in early 2013!

PS the ear buds in the pic are AWESOME for running. They are made by Meelectronics. I got them through Groupon for $12 ($40 value). They cancel out the outside noise interference and have excellent booming base. Such a difference. In love!

Next up?...kicking down the door of my comfort zone!

I ALWAYS wanted to try a rock climbing wall, for years & years...and now thanks to my new found confidence in what I can accomplish if I just TRY...I purchased - through Groupon, really cheap! can you tell I'm becoming addicted to Groupon? - sorry, I digress! I purchased a one day pass for lessons and equipment rental at Ocean State Rock Climbing in Lincoln! I am so EXCITED! I always wanted to try it but never thought I could do it, the "what if" scenarios in my mind would play over and over like a broken record (what if I fall, what if I fail, what if I'm not strong enough, what if I suck, what if they laugh...you get the picture!). Well, thanks to running, I've realized I need to atleast TRY and I need to shut that voice up in my head that is always trying to undo what i'm doing. I have simply decided to believe I can do it despite the inner critic nagging at me. 

So I will be kicking off 2013 with a celebration of moving outside my comfort zone. To this I say "Hell yeah!"

Let's do this!!! I mean, I ran my first 5K! How hard can this be?!?


“You only ever grow as a human being if you’re outside your comfort zone.” 
-Percy Cerutty


No comments:

Post a Comment