Take a look around...

Sunday, September 29, 2013

I can't wait...recap starts NOW!

My intention was to not do my recap yet of the Rock n Roll Half Marathon...but I realized after awaking from my nap and posting my pics...i want to capture it all while it is fresh in my head. This will most likely be a long ass post..so you've been warned!

Firstly, I did not properly train for this half marathon. If you have been following along you already know that early on in June I got injured with a painful groin pull, That combined with the hella hot summer we had in New England...I focused more on going to the gym for weight training and using the spin bikes. When August arrived the weather actually COOLED instead of getting warmer and I began running again. About three weeks ago I got the email from the Rock n Roll Half Marathon folks informing me of my bib number and loaded with lots of exciting info. The thought of NOT doing it was more than I could bare. As I posted a few weeks ago...once I knew I could run 5 miles, I decided I would still do it. 

Cut to TODAY...

The weather was perfect this morning...it was foggy and cool. The race kicks off with a hill right from the beginning...a hill I tackled fairly easily. If I could recommend one thing...TRAIN on your hills! They really do strengthen your running skills. In fact all the hills in this race, barring one very steep one half way through the race, I ran up them all...slowly...but I ran them...and with a decent pace. I am happy and proud because I feel like hill work is the one thing I have stuck with it and today proved that there is much value in that.

The first few miles were very easy...very little effort on my part because I was going slow...I had to actively work to go slow because I felt really strong at the beginning. Around mile 4 is when we hit the steep crazy hill from hell. I got half way up and realized it was smarter to fast walk it...along with all the other racers in my gaggle. Folks sitting outside their houses encouraged us runners, right along with posterboards that read "you are crushing this hill!" - and that felt awesome.

My intention at completion of mile 5 was to then walk miles 6-8, then continue on from mile 9 with running until the finish line. But we had lots of down hills and easy flat course going into mile 6 so I kept running...and I felt GREAT! Once I moved past mile 7 I realized that I was now running further than I ever had before. And I expected to hit that proverbial "wall" at any minute. But, surprisingly miles 8 and 9 also felt really great. At the water stops at mile 9 I walked a minute or two and ate a few of my sport beans (they rock, taste like Jelly Beans and gave me a little boost!). I commenced running, at this point the lovely sun decided to burn through the fog and instantly bring the heat. And that is when I knew...I might be in trouble. Running in heat is very hard for me...I think part of the reason I excelled miles 1-10 was because it was foggy, damp and cool. As I approach the mile 10 marker, my legs felt like lead - it almost felt instant. I guess THAT is the "wall". I really thought "oh crap"...I kept telling myself "just run a 5k distance and you are done"...but my legs screamed at me "but we've already run 10 MILES!!!". The sun at this point felt like it was blazing. 3 miles away from the finish and you could already start to hear the cheering and the music from downtown. I knew it was within my reach...I just had to push through and that is when I got a magical text from the "man". It said "You're almost at the finish line. You're kicking ass honey!" (he was getting the text message updates on my distances from the RnR app I had signed up for).

And it was just what I needed.

My legs still felt like lead and they were starting to really ache. But I didn't have any specific pains, just general exhaustion...LOL. And of course, the sun shining was starting to wear on me. But with that text message I knew I had to motor through and get to that finish line. And I didn't want to walk it, I wanted to run it. 

The last three miles were very hard. I won't lie. Those last three miles felt like they would never end. Up until mile 10 it all felt so GOOD that it was knocking me for a loop that I instantly hit that wall. I took another 3-4 minute walk break during mile 12. I crossed mile 12 running though and kept at it all the way into mile 13. I turned the corner and the finish line was at the TOP of a small hill. I deflated and stopped to walk another minute or two before tackling the hill. I had to finish running...I had run the entire race barring those few 2-3 minute walk breaks and I had to find the strength to RUN the finish.

And I did...I ran across the finish line. My first half marathon DONE. My time?

2 hours, 44 minutes.

My goal was to finish in 3.5 hours. And then as I was able to do quick math at each mile marker, I realized I could bring this in under 3. When I cross the finish line the time said 2 hours, 57 minutes...but the official time was actually 2 hours, 44 minutes because it was based on when my corral crossed the start line.

Much to my surprise, when I finished, I thought I would cry. But I didn't...I was so exhausted and wiped out I couldn't muster any emotion. I got my medal handed to me and the photographer had me pose in front of the little RnR background. There were tons of photographers on the course and I made sure I got my smiles and rock n roll hand gestures in every time I was in front of the camera.

I walked over to the Reunion area where a small group of my friends were waiting. I was surprised and so, so GRATEFUL that my friends had taken time out of their day on a sunday to come see me at the finish line. And now, as I type that, I'm all choked up. (probably because I'm finally starting to feel normal again - ha!). Most of my life, when something major has happened for me, I've done it alone. I've finished alone. I think it comes from living in NYC all those years, you get used to being alone and not expecting people to go out of their way to be there for you. Its not intentional or mean, it is just life. Barring the exception of my man, because of him being out of town, I did not nor could have expected to have a group of people waiting for me. Excited for me. More than the accomplishment, it is the thought that finally, I had someone waiting for me to say "good job", "we're proud". THAT is what has me sucking back tears.

Maybe it is just the day in general...it was an emotional day overall and I am starting to see that now. 

The race itself was amazing, a gorgeous course for the most part in Providence and after my difficult time in NYC last weekend, today cemented for me the idea that this really is my home now. I am grateful to everyone that was there for me today, I'm grateful that I was able to actually do this - it is still hard to believe that I really ran it...but I did.

A year ago this time I was training for my first 5k, a year later, I ran my first half marathon. It is beyond belief but yet, it means nothing is impossible.

Nothing. 

Oh and one last thing, the family reunion area was determined by letters...I picked "P" for Paula (my mom). It was my way of honoring her and remembering her on this incredible day. I hope I made her proud. 

No...I know I made her proud.

2 comments:

  1. dunno how i missed this post until now -- but just have to say what an amazing inspirational runner you are and that i am so lucky to have been one of the people to say *good job* because you ROCKED it! you deserve every bit of pride and ounce of accomplishment -- what you did was just amazing!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cyn! Having you and my other friends there at the finish line made it all the more sweeter :) AND I am sure you will rock your half even more because you are training properly :) LOL

      Delete