Take a look around...

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Game back ON!

Helllloooooooooo....!

14 days since my last blog post...how much am i suckin' at this? Ha!

Anywho's - Remember a few blog posts ago i said i was withdrawing from the Rock n Roll Providence Half Marathon? Remember how I said I was injured, hadn't trained enough, was worried about more injury, worried about not finishing strong???

Um, yeah...well i changed my mind. Game is back ON! 

What happened you ask?

Well a whole bunch of things, but mostly, I started getting all my packet info, my number assignment and all that magical stuff that FINALLY arrives when you decide to register 10 months out for a half marathon with no previous experience. I couldn't take the thought of not even TRYING to do this thing. So last Friday...I decided if I could run 5 miles and be somewhat painless I would still give it my all. Well here's what happened last Friday...



And it felt GREAT. I turned off ALL Nike app voice cues that tell me what my pace was and even what my mileage was. It still tracked my stats without it running its mouth at me (it annoys me to no end). It was just me, the road and the sound of my breathing (i no longer run with music...i don't know why, i just find it more zen that way lately). Much to my shock, I pulled it off. I hadn't run 5 miles since June I believe. JUNE. Its mid September. I have stepped my running back up with short 3 milers just because I simply missed running. And to be frank, I missed how running changed my body. I love my weight lifting but running leans me out in a way that nothing else does. ANYWAY...after doing 5 miles comfortably I decided...game on! September 29th I will participate in my first Half Marathon. Holy crap!. The plan is to walk a portion of it. Planning on running the first 5 miles, walk for 3, then finish up with another 5 mile run. There are some major hills around mile 3-4 so if I need to modify the plan I will do so..but that IS the plan.

And just because I wanted to be sure I could recreate my five miles I did it AGAIN yesterday...see!!!!!!!

And I actually ended up shaving over a minute off my time...that was not intentional. Here is how I am running...as I run, I'm coaching myself in my head, listening to every ache, pain, discomfort...i'm filtering out what is just "i need to warm-up these muscles" vs "oh crap there goes my EVERYTHING". As I experience and listen to my body I am making active choices to adjust my run. So if the breathing is to fast, I slow it, if my hip starts to hurt i adjust my posture or foot strike...to be honest, it sounds pretty simple in theory but it is alot of work listening to and making active efforts to adjust. But for me, it is WORKING! Yay! And that is all that matters right now. I also think my crossfit training with weights and the bike help tremendously - i am far stronger than I was at the start of the summer (atleast i feel that way?) and that has to help the running efforts.

I think my relationship with running will be like a solid love relationship, sometimes it will seem effortless and lovely and wonderful. Other times, there will be much effort needed to keep it going. Sometimes, I may take it for granted and slack off (come on even most good relationships hit this point!). And that is okay because it is usually at that point that the love you have brings you back around to why you fell in love in the first place. This will be me and running forever and always. It is something that sticks.

I know my approach to "training" for the half marathon is not conventional. But for some reason I am not that worried...i feel like my mind is really connected right now to the strength and capability of this body. The fear that danced on my head like a rain shower of metal bolts has subsided...by listening to my body when i run...i'm sort of saying to the fear "relax...i'm listening...we got this!".

It all sounds so insane...but i'm excited to do this. I'm NOT so excited that the one person I would want there (the man) can't make it because he is out of town for work.That is hard...this will be a huge accomplishment in my life and to not have the one person that I share the majority of my life with is sucking in a big way. And that is life...no one's fault...and as my life has dictated before, there are certain milestones in my life that I will greet at the door alone. But just once, it would be nice to have a cheering gaggle of familiar faces welcoming me to both the proverbial and literal finish line of a noteable life achievement.

Either way...I'm coming for you Rock n Roll Half Marathon Providence!!!

Oh and the gym thing is going great...and eating healthy has found its way back to me. We all get sidelined sometimes...but I think it makes the hike back all the more sweeter .

Clarity is a beautiful thing.

stay strong y'all!
Rachel


2 comments:

  1. You go girl! And as I posted on FB: Dead last is greater than Did Not Finish which trumps Did Not Start. All that truly matters is that you try. How fast you finish, how much of it you walk doesn't matter. It's that you're in it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes i think being *conventional* isn't for everyone! when i ran the ten miler i went out the night before and unconventionally drank way more than i should have the night before a race -- i swear that helped me lol! i was too tired to realize what i was doing until mile 8 - i was just in the moment and i finished six minutes over my goal and was quite happy about it! not saying everyone should go do that and i am sure if i repeated it i would not get the same reaction on race day -- but sometimes ya just gotta let go of the stress and ENJOY it -- you will do it out of sheer will and because you will hit that zen point and just say WTF -- i am running and thats always a good thing!
    ps -- i know i am not the man -- but i will be there to watch you finish!!!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete