Take a look around...

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

2.62 miles & what i'd tell my child

Yesterday, I ran 2.62 miles as a show of unity with those runners, families, friends and spectators that were impacted by the events that occurred on April 15th at the Boston Marathon. And of course, I ran as a show of support with a city that is less than an hour from me, Boston.


But it wasn't just me that ran. It was my boyfriend's soon to be 12 year old daughter also. It was a perfect day weather wise and I, as you know from previous posts, had taken nearly a full 7 days off from running to let an aching knee heal. But after Monday's tragedies and the movement going viral to run on the 16th as a show of runner support and unity, I could not let myself sit and be still.

So, I laced up my shoes, threw on a former race shirt (also part of the viral movement) and the little one (who is almost taller than me) put on her Boston Redsox shirt. And off we went into the wild blue yonder that is our immediate neighborhood. We did a walk/slow run alternating approach - she is registered to do her first 5k with me in just over a week and she wants to be able to run/walk at a decent, healthy, easy pace.

It worked beautifully, especially for me. There was something very empowering about yesterday's run with her. We breifly touched on what had happened in Boston,I kept my answers short and simple...although I love her, the reality is, this isn't my child and I strongly respect my boyfriend's (and his ex's) parenting skills. I am always very careful not to tread to close to that line. I simply shared that we were doing this to not only prepare for our 5K but as a way of feeling empowered to do something beautiful and supportive in the face of something that was scary for everyone. And I left it at that. And off we still went, continuing to loop our blocks and build (back) up our (and my) endurance. After we finished...we high fived and posted a pic of us sharing what we did for Boston, for runners everywhere and for ourselves too. 2.62 miles. Together.

Today - when I reflect back on that breif conversation with her...I think about what I would say if she was my child. Or if I had ever had one of my own. And it would go something like this...

"Yes, something very bad did happen in Boston on Monday. There are people in this world that do not have love in their hearts the way you and me and your dad do. There are people in the world that are looking to cause pain...and though there are things that can be done and have been done to protect us, protect our country - sometimes these people find ways to still inflict pain and scare us. But, and here's an important one - we have the power to lift up over it. By doing things like volunteering, raising money, even walking 2.62 miles in rememberance like we did today - these are things we can do to show those who don't have love in their hearts that those of us that do - well, we outnumber them. We outnumber any evil or scary people that may exist, and as long as you always work to heal the pain or work to feel less scared in ways that make others happy or give them comfort in the face of things that seem very dark and very wrong, it will always help your heart too. We will all get through this together. The world is an amazing place in that way."

That's what I would have said. And maybe its not exactly right. And yes, questions would be asked and a parent would try to answer. But in my mind and in my heart. That is what I wanted to say. Because its true. For every ounce of darkness that blasts its way into our peaceful world, the light of the human spirit blinds it out. The darkness is momentary, but the light of good is everlasting.

I keep focusing on all the positive stories from Monday...the people that helped each other albeit runner or spectator. There is no substitute for the beauty of the human spirit - like I said, that's where the light lives and that's where I prefer to focus my energies. I'm going to run again today, alone, just a short mile or two to ease my way back in to the sport I love more than I ever could have imagined, and even MORE SO now after Monday.

The solidarity I feel with the running community is something that is now forever imprinted on my soul.

2 comments:

  1. I was moved to tears. I wish she could have heard what you would have liked to have said. It's simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fellow spa here and i really like what you said. so much of it is true. there is more good than bad even though sometimes its so hard to see it. and how awesome of her to run with you :)

    ReplyDelete