Take a look around...

Sunday, November 4, 2012

one more time with feeling

...and there goes the hip.

Yup, I pushed WAY WAY WAY too hard this past Friday to hit the 3 mile mark like I did on Tuesday. Every thing was off. My breathing, pace, I wasn't in "the zone". My eating was off as well Thursday into Friday and I felt it. 

But yet, there I was pushing way too hard to do something that normally brings me immense joy and yes, ease (not easy..just ease, peaceful). 

So where do I go from here?

Luckily I've learned some valuable lessons, like as long as I give this time to rest, do recovery type exercises and make sure i'm FEEDING my body properly, in a week I should be able to be back at it again. I read a great article on Active.com (which I can't for the life of me find again...will post link when i do!)...and it gave some very specific options on how to "train through pain". No this does not mean run anyway...it was more about how walking on a steep incline on a treadmill actually mimics the muscle groups of running with minimal fear of impact on the injury. Also, cycling! Who knew? Not me...using a spin bike at the gym can also help train and strengthen the painful area (for me the hip/inner thigh muscles) without worsening the condition. And of course, the thing that helped heal me up last time...the elliptical.

So what does all THAT mean?

It means that i'm not going to slow down, but i'm going to see this as an opportunity to try out some different equipment at the gym. Later today I will tackle one or two of my new machine options and see how that works out.

Apparently, running injuries are not uncommon...but my goal, once i've got some money that I don't have to throw at a pile of bills (ugh, real life! why!) - I am marching my butt into Rhode Runner in Providence and get my run "tested" and buy the absolute best pair of shoes for this body.

Running is not a fad for me.

Its a new love. A love that I want to keep learning about and experiencing. I know I am capable of healing this injury. I know what led to it AGAIN (me...pushing...stupidity...not eating right/under eating). There are no reasons available to beat myself up. I just need to keep finding way to strengthen my body and pay attention to it.

Honestly, I think I got caught up in the reflection of it. The "hurry up I want to wear a two piece  on the cruise" part of it.

And that is SO NOT what this is meant to be about.

Learning curves people. Lots and lots of learning curves. Even as I sit here - hip aching, inner thigh sore and hurting...I know I will recover. I just need to learn to be a little more patient and a little more caring of my body and its capabilities.

Its such a balancing act...but i'm up for the challenge. I have faith in myself and my learning curves. I plan on running more 5k races in the new year and would so love to be able to do a 10k or half marathon by end of next year...but there is so much to still learn about this bod of mine.

I'm learning, the hard way sometimes, that this really is about the journey not the destination. When I hit the pavement again next weekend (oh to take a week off...so hard! - but know its right!), it WILL be about loving the run, appreciating the ability to do it and giving myself what i need to endure, not just hurry up and hit a mile.

So easy to lose your focus on why you started. Learn learn learn.






No comments:

Post a Comment