Take a look around...

Friday, September 21, 2012

long haul

well, what i feared has come to pass. I injured myself running. It appears i've got a nasty sprain/pull/general crappiness in my upper inner right thigh that wraps around my right hip (the periformis i believe). Very painful for walking. Running? Nope, doesn't really hurt...but after running yesterday morning, i'm in more pain than i have been since it started hurting on Monday.

To say I'm sad, dissappointed...bordering devastated would be an understatement. I have strict orders to not run again until its 100% better. No pain. So, instead of feeling like "what's the point of trying to get healthier when it ends in disabling pain"...because yes, i had that moment briefly, i'm going to turn this around.

For the next week or so I will encourage myself to try different strength training workouts (might even finally visit the gym! so far all this change has come from diet, running and working out at home) and maybe try out a new class (yoga perhaps?!). I will take this time to focus on my upper body while maintaining some low impact cardio. I will NOT be derailed simply because as a newbie runner I "over did it". I nursed the pain last night with a hot water bottle and a ton of stretching and can already feel improvement.

That said, if I want to make running a long term, rest of my life thing then I must be PATIENT with body. I must learn that although the mind and heart are more than willing (finally! yay!) - the body needs to catch up. I will forgive myself for pushing hard. A positive from this negative is also my strong desire to learn more about the human body, to understand what muscles are impacted, for the better and the worse, by fitness and strength training.

This will be a true test for me. I've only been running for 4 weeks but my love for it feels like a lifetime in the making...I will be patient and kind to myself in the interim, fully knowing that I will come back even stronger.

This new discovery of myself and my love for this healthy lifestyle is sticking and i won't let possible "periformis" pain derail or discourage me.

I'm in this for the long haul!

No comments:

Post a Comment