Take a look around...

Monday, September 24, 2012

gym join & quiet

Well, its quiet around these parts, sorry about that...but i'm in the midst of regrouping and healing after my running injury. Looks like as a newbie beginner runner, I got a little too over ambitious and forgot to do things like, um, stretch. Yeah, sort of important. I know I know.

The good news? I'm working HARD to learn from this experience. Which isn't easy...what would be easier is to give up. To say "what's the point?! I try to get stronger, I try to get healthier...and it ends in pain". BUT I've fallen to hard and to fast in love with the way my body's been changing. How I long and yearn to run again at 6:30 in the morning...its been 5 days since I ran. And its taking all my energy to learn how to focus on STRENGTHENING my core and my lower body so that this injury won't worsen, but instead improve & heal...making it possible to return to my beloved running all the while discovering new ways of pushing my body and learning more about how to build a strong core. I'm doing numerous runner focused stretches and strength training moves specifically in mind with returning to the pavement under a morning sun.

The other news? I joined a gym. Finally! Its official! Starting October 17th when the new facility opens (literally 5 minutes down the road from my house) - I will be in there, learning the weight machines, the circuit, the free weights...allowing myself to find comfort in an environment that to date had brought me nothing but stress. But now, I look forward to it. I embrace it the challenge and the newness. I've built a pretty firm foundation the past couple months from my home base, now its time to get out and face the world. The work out world. I will be able to have all the personal training sessions my little heart desires (included in the membership) - and boy, am I going to have a lot of questions (though to date, Holly Perkins has been so generous and amazing with her time to those of us that took her up on her summer shape-up challenge...thank you Holly!).


Lastly, I took a YMCA certification course tonight - Principles of Healthy Lifestyles. Its the first in a multi-level certification course through the Y that is nationally recognized. Next up will be my CPR and First Aid training, followed by Foundations of Group Exercise and Foundations of Strength Training & Conditioning. Its all very exciting...

...now if only my hip didn't hurt. (i am only human after all :)

LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment